Fun filled week at Camp! Part 2 - by Brian Wathen


A group photo of all the camp leaders before campfire. We were decked out with our face paint,
headbands, and necklaces. Some of these leaders used to be my campers in my group when I was a
counselor.

This past week I was able to join the Charles County 4-H group as we went to the Western Maryland Educational and Learning Center for a weeklong overnight camp. This overnight camp has not been held since 2019 because of Covid and it was the first time I have been back since I aged out of 4-H. During my week of camp, I was the fishing class instructor and took my classes to different fishing spots around the lake at camp. Some of my kids caught bluegill, pumpkin fish, and some smaller bass. Other than being the fishing instructor, I was also the Potomac nation leader. We divide our groups into two nations, so I oversaw four different groups while the other nation had three. Some other friends and I were the GNATS, or another word for first year adult staff. we were charged with other adult type duties. Being a nation leader was one of those tasks since it was so close to when we aged out from being camp counselors. We even got our face paint for campfire, and it was sad when our graduating seniors had said their final speeches. I participated in our spirit days at camp and did other activities like our famous counselor hunt. I think that the most enjoyment that I got from going back to camp was just seeing everyone again and getting to put a smile on everyone’s faces. That’s why I really look forward to going to camp and cannot wait to go back next year.

Working with the public is vital in extension work. Thus far, hearing and seeing different problems in the St. Mary’s area has been mostly plant disease in producers’ high tunnels and in fields. Tomatoes have probably been the most common when looking at disease and deficiencies. We are dealing with some problems in our high tunnel at the office. In terms of the impact from hearing and seeing these different problems, it has really been beneficial for me because of the knowledge I am gaining from these experiences but also, I can then go home and put some of the same practices and knowledge into my own garden or land at home. I wish to pursue something related to animal production or genetics but learning more about plants out in the field versus in a textbook has really opened my eyes in learning more about agronomy or other plant science related fields.



A photo of our campfire and all the groups together. The group leaders have to come up with a stunt, a skit and a challenge and a song. Honor group members and honor campers are chosen as well.


A photo of some of my kids during fishing class, posing for a photo after catching a bass.

Comments