Learning From Farmers - by Makayla Kret

This was taken after hoeing the Urban Farming Research Clinic field. 

Throughout this internship, I have visited several farms to address different problems. Each farm visit we have made has been a learning experience for me. I have learned so much from these visits, and how much effort goes into growing a crop. A few weeks back, we visited Gambrills Flower Farm to address problems with their strawberries. During this visit, I listened to all the effort that goes into growing the flowers, fruits, and veggies they have on the farm. I was given a tour of the farm and learned more about the different practices they use. Closer to the beginning of my internship, I visited a strawberry farm that was experiencing multiple issues with their crop. Ultimately, the strawberries were too damaged. It was recommended the farmer take them out and plant another crop to finish the season. This farm visit in particular was a great learning experience for me because I learned how important it is to be flexible in different situations. 


These experiences taught me a few things. I learned that some situations might not turn out as planned, but it is important to be flexible and make changes to succeed. Both of these farmers were flexible and made changes when necessary to fix the problems they were experiencing. This is extremely important in life and career situations as well. Sometimes things will fail or not go as planned, but being flexible and willing to change will help you succeed. 


I also learned that asking questions is very important. Throughout this internship, I have been absorbing as much information as possible and asking as many questions as I can. The information that I learn this summer will only help me in my future. 


I have learned so much from the experiences with Extension this summer. Each farm I visited this summer has been a learning experience for me in many ways. All the information I have learned will be impactful in my daily life and future.


 Progress in the Urban Farming Research Clinic. This photo was taken 6 weeks after planting! 




Comments