Week Eight - by Cai Diggs

 

Me using a post pounder at the Upper Marlboro Research Farm for a “how to string tomatoes” video


A large part of working with Extension is working with different communities to help combat the issues they have identified. Across the state of Maryland, I have come in contact with several groups and individuals that have their own beliefs, and therefore customs. The ability to adapt and interpret the mental frameworks of these groups (while maintaining the knowledge and experience of oneself) is central to being an Extension worker and, I find, a fantastic social skill to possess. With Extension, this essential ability has developed over time and hopefully will continue to evolve as I grow professionally.

I have learned many things from the communities I work with through Extension. The group I work with most consists of field researchers and agricultural agents. This group of individuals value integrity and honesty while doing field research—ensuring data is accurate and interpretable is far more important than an abundant harvest. When crops demonstrate poor yields, field researchers are not upset; they are enthusiastic about sharing their findings with farmers, scientists, and other researchers. I find this to be very impactful. I now understand the normality of being a researcher and, more importantly, what they are looking for. Because of Extension, “no data is bad data” has a new, more expansive meaning to me.

I have also interacted with the Mennonite and Amish communities in Southern Maryland. I learned, that due to their beliefs they do not engage in particular agricultural practices and technologies. As Extension workers, it is our duty to acknowledge this when addressing their issues. The solution to a problem of a Mennonite or Amish farmer may not be the same as that of an agnostic farmer. This is impactful to me because it is extremely applicable to daily life. When assisting people with different belief systems, it is inappropriate only to consider one’s own mental framework. I find worldliness and flexibility to go a long way. In the future, I will continue to be receptive to the beliefs and customs of others. It has certainly been helpful when identifying and combating problems.

Alan stringing tomatoes at Upper Marlboro research farm for “how to string tomatoes” video


Tomatoes at Upper Marlboro Research farm




Comments