Empathy In The Workplace - by Kendall Weingard


 The Somerset County Fair garden entries included an assortment of cut flowers, pot mixes, arrangements, hanging baskets and succulents.




After attending a meeting about empathy in the workplace, I have come to an understanding that it is an important skill that I will use throughout my career. I feel that it is important to approach everyone with regards to perspective and it is essential in building relationships. Putting yourself in another's shoes allows for a stronger relationship and a better understanding of an individual. I try my best to empathize everyday when engaging with others and to be considerate of their life situations. I plan to be empathetic throughout my career regardless of my role.  I hope to build relationships with many individuals and make an effort to understand where they’re coming from.

This week I had a small opportunity to demonstrate empathy when judging the garden entries at the Somerset County Fair.  Although the people who submitted their entries were not present during judging, we worked to theorize individuals' visions to make decisions.  Before judging too harshly, it was important to understand that items such as cut flowers may not last and that no item will be perfect due to the nature of bugs and weather.

Another moment that empathy played a role in my week was during a farm visit for Dr. Hirsh’s cover crop project. The cover crop project provides an opportunity for farmers to select cover crops that will improve soil health for future cash crops. Earlier this summer I was educated on cover crops by reading a cover crop planning manual which emphasized that although there are general guidelines to planning cover crops, each farmer is different and it is important to manipulate the plan for different scenarios. While meeting with the farmer we had to take into account the size of the property, type of soil, deer and pathogen pressure, money crop types and seed dispersal method. It was important for us to understand that every farmer has different needs and expectations, exceptions need to be made for different scenarios.

This week I had a great time helping with the Somerset County Fair activities. I was able to see all of the wonderful craft and garden entries from 4-H and the community.  I also had the opportunity to run a kids activity, where the kids created seed packets. Participants decorated a paper seed packet template, cut it out and assembled it, then filled it with Black- Eyed Susans to take home and plant. Along with the activity, I created a flier on the importance of our state flower and pollinators. I enjoyed spending time engaging with  the community and watching activities such as the watermelon eating contest and the chicken scratch activity.

This picture was taken at the Somerset County Fair of a wonderful participant and I, making a seed packet after he got his face painted by Jennifer Howell.

Jennifer Howell (4-H youth development), Kim Johnson (Office Administrator), Jeremiah Mowen (4-H Stem Coordinator) and I at the Somerset County Fair, working the kids activities.  I am going to miss everyone!




 

 


Comments